Thursday, May 28, 2009

First 5 Friday-All Quiet On the Set

Comedy is tough enough to do with the ability to speak. Precise timing is needed to convey a message that will get us laughing so hard that we break wind without knowing it. (Or is that just me?) Imagine the difficulty in conveying a message totally without words. Now imagine the actor is two dimensional.

Pretty impressive accomplishment, right?

First 5 Mute Cartoon Characters

5. Wilie E. Coyote, Loony Toons. A furry example of Murphy's Law. What can go wrong will go wrong especially when your trying to get you some 'fast food'. I imagine with the money he spent at ACME it could've put a huge dent in the deficit. His character is somewhat a paradox. As a kid, I was torn. I didn't want him to eat the roadrunner, but I did feel sorry for him. Not so sorry that I stopped laughing when he held up the sign saying "YIKES!!" before falling a country mile. (Anyone else wonder where he kept all of those signs?)








4. Maggie Simpson, The Simpsons. The eternal toddler. Watching my kids grow up, I tend to identify more with Maggie. The challenge of walking without falling on her face and trying to get anyone at all to understand her really hits home in my house. Not necessarily with my kids, but with me. Seriously though, this is Super Toddler. Who shot Mr. Burns? Maggie. Who in another episode saved Homer? Maggie. Who, of the three Simpson kids, one that has a chance to be normal if the writers let her age? Maggie.





3. Pink Panther, The Pink Panther. Coolness, suave, debonair, ....Pink. He made Pink cool and his moves were probably copied by many others wanting to be a 'cool cat.' He was an opportunist and sometimes a little over his head. However, he was always lucky.




2. Perry the Platypus, Phineas and Ferb. A new character t
hat I truly adore. He is a mild mannered platypus who, when the need arises, turns into a secret agent. Secret Agent P, for short. He has a quiet competence and total loyalty to his front family, the prodigies Phineas and Ferb. Plus, his little growl cracks me up...check it out if you've never heard it.








1. Snoopy, Peanuts. Poor Charlie Brown. Even in a show where he is supposedly the star, the dog steals the lime light. Whether he's winning a christmas yard show, playing tennis, or defeating the Red Baron in his Sopwith Camel, Snoopy is the show. All the rest of the show is filler until Snoopy does his thing. Canine coolness, Snoopy...or Joe Cool...is the dog everyone would love to have. Watch as Snoopy saves the day over France during WWI.




Well, I hoped you enjoyed the silent but funny toons and I am wishing your last weekend of May turns into a good one.

2 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

My favorite is definitely the WWII flying ace, but Perry is definitely pulling on my heartstrings. :)

Heather said...

It's funny/weird how all of these silent characters turn out to be very important in the show. We like Phen & Ferb alot and think Agent P (or whatever it is) is pretty cleaver. Thanks for sharing these.