Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Tribute Tuesday-Captain Comeback

Tribute Tuesday is a brainchild of Wayne at Wayne's Window to the World. Drop by and give him a line.

As I grew from boy to teenager, one thing always rang clear. "My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys". Sure it's cliche, but I never claimed to be unique. I embrace my conformity and my hero as a boy was one Roger Staubach.



Any kid from the 1970's living in the Lone Star State was a fan of Staubach. For parents, he was the guy you wanted your kid to look up to. He was clean cut, competitive, persistent, and Christian. (Still is today, by the way.) Most of my younger life was spent watching him create magic on the field in real life or replay. I had his jersey, I would've loved to have his life.

After winning the Heisman Trophy at Navy, he spent five years in the service. He served his country well even requesting a one year tour of duty in Vietnam as a Naval Supply Officer. The Cowboys drafted him in 1964 but would wait until '69 for their 27 year old rookie. He would battle with unheralded QB Craig Morton for Don Meredith's old job, before finally taking it over.

From the two touchdowns within three minutes first miracle in Candlestick park to the famed Hail Mary in Minnesota to the final 'short Hail Mary' to beat the Redskins in Dallas he thrilled me throughout my pre teen years. I yelled in joy as I watched him defeat the Craig Morton led Denver Broncos and their defense nicknamed the 'Orange Crush'. I cried twice when the hated and despised Stee,ers defeated him. Even today, when I watch the replay of Super Bowl XIII. I feel a great sense of pride in the man. I truly believe in defeate it was his finest moment. Down three scores he brought his team up and down the field to twice against the leagues most feared defense. As almost always with Roger, he never lost, he just ran out of time.

He was an amazing story every week. His never give up style led to him getting pounded on more than most QB's. He'd hold the ball a split second longer...or he'd take off and then take on a linebacker. He was fearless.



Concussions and age began to take a toll. Roger's style could not allow for any slowness in thought or legs, so at the age of 38 he retired from football. I remember that speech as well even though I was nine. It tore me up almost as bad as it looked to be tearing up Roger. He gave up five years of his best years to his country, the total selfish ass in me wonders how many championships could've came Dallas' way if he went somewhere else. (Like Texas A&M for example) As he spoke, his voice shook and his eyes watered.

He ran out of time.

Now, he is a captain of industry...or well, real estate. He has been involved in several charitable ventures and even played in a flag football game a local radio stationed sponsored against Troy Aikman in 2006. True to form, he rallied his team from behind and defeated Troy's boys.

Just like the old days..

----Lane

2 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

I'm experimenting a little with your comments section. I haven't been able to leave a comment all day. Lets see what happens now...

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Well, wooo hoooo.
Anyway, I only know of Staubach through you. I love his story and how he helped you develop your love of football at an early age. :)