Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Back to School and a Cool Surprise

January 6th...what is commonly referred to by teachers and students as Dread Day (or at least by me). It is the day we go back and continue the battle against against the plague of ignorance against our future generations. This, of course, is commonly referred to as teaching. On this day, the students come to school woefully unprepared. On this day, I came to school woefully unprepared. Let us review the beginning of this day.

6:00AM-Alarm wakes me up. I know I need to go to school early to print out the work for today in my class. Since it has been two weeks, I haven't the slightest idea what this work is, but I do remember that I made it so I wouldn't worry about starting the year unprepared.

7:15AM-Snooze alarm wakes me up. Panic sets in, since I am now not early but SERIOUSLY late.

8:00AM-I make it to school as the first bell goes off. Go to my room and notice that my district's computer system is on the fritz.

8:01AM-Whine.

8:05AM-Create curriculum.

Aside from that shakey start, the day actually went well. I only had five requests for lockers, four lost books, two forgot schedule, and one who didn't bring at thing. To think, I could've stayed at home if I hadn't barely missed winning the lottery two weeks ago. I only missed by five numbers.

I also noticed that I was featured in a post in Chris Bowers excellent blog, Worth a Thousand Words. His blog is pretty darn cool with picture contests every week. Thanks, Chris, for the honor I really appreciate it.

Here's wishing all of you happy end to the first week of 2009. (That is the end of the first seven days of 2009, Jill.)

----Lane

2 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

So glad you clarified that "7 days" thing, hon! :)

McCrakensx4 said...

Came to you thru sneaky momma and laughed at your post b/c me and my hubby are both teachers and have that same dread! I teach Kinder and hubby teacher HS English! We have a count down already...88 teaching days left!!