Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Writer's Workshop-Differences Make the Heart Grow Fonder


The Prompts:
It's Thursday....so that means it's time for Mama Katt's Writer's Workshop. If you would like to play, just write on one (or more) of the prompts below and hit our good buddy Mr. Linky and get in on the action.


1.) Describe a moment when you realized you and your spouse were SO different.


2.) What is your role in the household?

3.) Write about how you felt when you discovered you were lied to.

(creativewritingprompts.com)

4.) Describe a hard time you gave a teacher...what would you say to them today?

5.) What is an unpleasant experience you had eating? Write a poem, paragraph, or something else about the experience.

(writingfix.com)

When did I realize my beloved wife and myself were very different in some ways?

From the Beginning, we have both understood that we definitely walk to the beat of a different drummer. We have always had similarities that were astounding. Our opinions, our love of God, and our taste in music have always blended together like some majestic melting pot. We were so sure that we were definitely one of the same person just split in half like some Greek legend. We were perfectly in tune. Totally on the same wave length. Never in the history of history has a man and a woman been so totally the same.

Until the movie, God's and Generals.

It was the second movie date we had ever had. I, the history buff I am, could not wait until this movie came out. When it did, I asked my new love, the one we would call Sneaky Momma, if she would accompany me to see this event. She said that she would and we hit the nearest theater, bought our tickets and entered. The ticket tearer upper (I'm sure there's a better name for this job) gets are tickets, rips them, and then utters a sentence that I was expecting.

"You folks realize that there's a twenty minute intermission in the middle, right?"

Sneaky Momma turned to me with a startled 'You've got to be shitting me' face as she repeated "Intermission? For a movie!?"

It turns out that Sneaky Momma isn't into history like me. In fact, she just professes to have a very limited interest in history. God's and Generals didn't do it. I myself had a hard time following it, my sweet honey though had no trouble....catching up on her sleep. All major battle scenes found her napping blissfully and peacefully. She would wake up for the talky scenes. Finally, as the movie is dragging toward it's end, you see on the screen 'Stonewall' Jackson laying in bed, dying of pneumonia. It is sad, as the movie portrays the Southern hero weak and feebly existing as his doom crawls upon him. Sneaky Momma is waking up from her third and final fairly lengthy nap in the movie, she looks up and says "He isn't dead yet?"

As I documented, I owed a penance of Little Women, Sabrina, and two other movies that I can't remember, nor want to. We learned that when it came to the movies or television, perhaps it was better for us to watch 'our type of movie' in solitude.

Let me put it this way, when the movie The Alamo came out, I went with her dad.

9 comments:

KatBouska said...

You too??

My husband goes to movies alone! Poor fella. :( We have the same problem.

I'm with Sneaky Momma on this one!

Unknown said...

Our movie problem is that I can't resist pot shots at the technical inaccuracies. Drives my wife up the wall. So you are not alone in separatism!

Mommynightowl said...

Hi from Mama Kat's!

lol, sorry but I think I would have fallen asleep too.

I think my husband and I just agree on comedy. All the other movies we wanna see we rent by ourselves or take friends with.

Anonymous said...

LOL, "He isn't dead yet?"

My husband and I have also had a parting of the ways when it comes to movies. I'm a chick flicker and he's an explode and kill em guy.

T said...

An intermission??? SERIOUSLY??? Wow...ummm yeah I would have left you alone to your movie!

Jenners said...

Totally loved this! My husband and I have the same problem...but it extends to music too. I'm amazed she even stuck it out at all! ; )

Jaime said...

hubby goes to all war/blood and guts movies with my dad. i get to see the hard core chick flix with my mom. it's a nice arrangement for everyone.

Anonymous said...

I've only gotten up and walked out of one movie with Mr. S. It was Zorro. Need I say more?
I would have taken pneumonia-stricken Jackson and intermissions any day....
Great post!

Jessica said...

That sounds like something I would have said. When we see movie trailers on TV I just laugh and say "Call the boys cause I'm not going with you!"