Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Quothe the Californian...Nevermore

I'm not sure when the last time it was the I watched a Miss USA pageant. I'll be totally honest, it's not my cup of tea. Perhaps, it's because I'm jealous and never went to the prom with a cheerleader or maybe it's a new thing because cheer screws with my tennis practice every other week. But, I will say this, I'm not a fan.

But, when something happens that presses the PC button, I'm all ears.

Okay, sports fans, just in case you missed it, here is the quote.

Quote

Announcer: Your question comes from Judge #8, Perez Hilton.

Announcer 2: Are we worried?

Announcer 1: You should be. Perez Hilton: Vermont recently became the 4th state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit - why or why not?

Miss California: Well, I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage, and you know what, in my country and in my family, I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be between a man and a woman.


Okay, before anyone nails me for being a inbred, country hick let me say first that really I don't care one way or another for gay marriage. I think when you go around legislating morality it gets dicey and the way I look at it, if this is to be a free nation, then we should allow others to live in the way they choose....assuming no one else is harmed by their lifestyle. But, this is not my axe to grind at all.

I will say that this was a stupid question to ask. Seriously, are you judging the girl for her beliefs on a subject that around 55 % (according to this poll ) of the nation feels her way? What if it was turned around and Rush Limbaugh asked the same question, she was for Gay Marriages and was not given the crown simply because Rush disagreed with her? Would the Hollywood community be up in arms about it? Why was the contest tarnished? How dare Rush do this to that poor woman! The outrage has only been about the comments that I've heard and this is simply hypocritical thinking.

From Perez Hilton, "I am so disappointed in Miss California representing my country," he said. "Not because I believe in gay marriage, but she doesn't inspire and she doesn't unite." Unless you wanted a vague "I don't know." answer, Hilton, no answer on that topic would've inspired unity. No, Hilton, she answered your question...for better or for worse.

The true problem I have with this situation is Hilton, number one asking a question to fulfill his agenda and then, number two, getting hacked off about the response when it didn't mirror his own. Finally, in his childish anger he chose this girl's life interest for he last few years to hammer her on a political difference.

Seriously. That is simply sad.

I know we all have agendas that we serve. But, when the contestant actually is punished for her political beliefs...um...beliefs that a very large number have....that is without question despicable. I guess in this country you can have any belief you want.

As long as it's the right one.

2 comments:

Jill @ Sneaky Momma said...

Very well put, Hon. Nothing that poor girl said would have been right. Had she lied and said she supported it, the judges would have been on her for not standing up for what she believed in. I think she stated her beliefs quite respectfully.

Nikki B. said...

yeah, that's BS.